Monday, February 25, 2013

A New Yorker's Glossary

We all know in the great melting pot known as New York City, the City has its own microcosm of a culture. I often equate New York to college: most people are far from home, young and fun, and eager to impact the world and culture. When I talk about the City, I often find myself explaining terms & abbreviations that I forget need explaining. 


Duane Reade, aka the Walgreens of New York.

Ergo, some terms that you may find helpful when talking with a New Yorker:

The Train: What most New Yorkers call the Subway. For instance: "Today on the train, a rando came up to me and told me that I smelled like a fern."
TJ's: Trader Joe's-- the grocery stores where most hipsters shop in other cities but where New Yorkers must shop in order to survive and make rent.



Trader Joe's, where most of your shopping takes place while waiting in line. Suburb-dwellers, never take Target for granted.

Pret: Pret-A-Manager, the NYC version of Panera. 
FiDi: Financial District/Wall St. Where I work- holla!
BoltBus/MegaBus: How most of us navigate the Northeast. Super cheap bus fares geared towards college students and 20somethings.  

Seamless: Food delivery website and app, because New Yorkers love hibernating and watching 30 Rock/Homeland/Girls. 
UES/UWS: Upper East Side & Upper West Side, the "suburbs of Manhattan."
CP: Central Park, obviously. Most often said by runners, like my stud roommate.
Scoutmob it: The life-changing app for restaurant discounts. You're welcome.


Those are some of the big ones, but I know I'll remember some other ones which I'll save for another time. 

Until next time,

xoxo,
elise

No comments:

Post a Comment